Simple Population Genetics Simulator
A downloadable game
ProcJam 2018 Entry
Simulate basic population genetics on fake creatures' DNA. Concepts of mutation, crossover, fitness distribution covered.
Try it Out Here - https://barrettotte.github.io/ProcJam-2018/WebGL/index.html
- Procedural Generation Jam 2018 - https://itch.io/jam/procjam
- WebGL Build - Try it Out Here - https://barrettotte.github.io/ProcJam-2018/WebGL/index.html
- Main Repository - https://github.com/barrettotte/ProcJam-2018
- This idea was prototyped in Python first, https://github.com/barrettotte/Population-Genetics-Sim
- This script will simulate a generation of "creatures" generation after generation.
- Each creature has one allele in their "DNA" for color and is passed to offspring based on fundamentals of genetics (crossover, mutation).
- Depending on how close the creature's color allele is to the ideal allele, it is given a fitness value which affects its chances of reproducing with another creature.
- Initialize - Population N random DNA
- Selection - Evaluate fitness, generate mating pool
- Reproduction - Repeat N times, pick parents based on "weighted random" of mating rate
- Crossover - Combine DNA through some crossover method
- Mutation - Mutate child based on mutation rate
- Add child to new generation
- Discard old population
- A percentage of "Top" fitness organisms will asexually reproduce to keep their ideal DNA in the mating pool.
- There is a small chance a random organism will asexually reproduce
Leave a comment
Log in with itch.io to leave a comment.